tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Pid <...@pidster.com>
Subject Re: Tomcat 6 logging clog
Date Fri, 07 Jan 2011 14:24:10 GMT
On 1/7/11 9:40 AM, Tim Space wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm getting huge logs (50MB after startup) in catalina.out despite having turned all
logging up to SEVERE in my logging.property files.
> I'm hoping someone can point me to the right thread, as I'm sure others wouldn't have
put up with 50MB logs out of the box as long as I have.  After going over the docs several
times, I see that the standard LogManager "JULI uses either a programmatic approach, or properties
files", so I'm guessing that it's using a programmatic approach, but there is no mention of
how to make my logging use the property files.  I'm tried modifying both files to no effect:

A fresh Tomcat 6.0.29 'out of the box' after startup produces small logs:

     0  7 Jan 14:21 manager.2011-01-07.log
     0  7 Jan 14:21 host-manager.2011-01-07.log
  1813  7 Jan 14:21 catalina.out
   226  7 Jan 14:21 localhost.2011-01-07.log
  1813  7 Jan 14:21 catalina.2011-01-07.log

not 50Mb.

Tomcat itself doesn't produce more log data unless the cluster is
configured or you are reloading applications.

Can you explain more about what's appearing in the logs?

> /apache-tomcat-6.0.20/conf/logging.properties
> /jdk1.6.0_18/jre/lib/logging.properties
>
> The docs say:
> Here is how you would set debugging from Tomcat. You would need to ensure the ConsoleHandler's
level is also set to collect this threshold,
> so FINEST or ALL should be set. Please refer to Sun's java.util.logging documentation
for the complete details.
> org.apache.catalina.level=FINEST
>
> However, the string "org.apache.catalina.level" is not found in the logging.properties
file in apache's conf directory.
> In-fact, the only place that string is found is in /apache-tomcat-6.0.20/webapps/docs/logging.html,
as well as startup scripts but there is no dicsussion on the java loggin overview of how to
set he level.

> I'm running Fedora 14 by the way.  I been through a lot of archives searching from various
angles, found similar problems, but none with sufficient answers for my problem.  I haven't
changed anything else in the properties file, so they are as shipped with Tomcat 6.0.20.
I haven't tried to implement log4j, as java.util.logging with JULI would be fine if I didn't
have to hear digesters every bowel movement like this: