tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Rainer Jung <>
Subject Re: Accessing context information remotely - Context.getAvailable() etc.
Date Fri, 07 Jan 2011 11:42:18 GMT
On 06.01.2011 21:22, Ziggy wrote:
> Please see my previous response re: open source tools. :)
> As i mentioned earlier, the project that i need to deploy this tool will not
> allow any open source tool without it being approved which involves a long
> security vetting process.
> I appreciate that there are hundreds of tools out there that can do exactly
> what i am trying to do but sometimes there are reasons that those tools
> cannot be used due to the nature of some projects.

Using JMX as a protocol to remotely collect the info comes with the
downside of starting a full JMX each time your cron job fires. There is
a feature builtin into the Tomcat manager called jmxproxy. Via the
jmxproxy you can query MBeans by HTTP and get back an easy to parse
textual represenation of the attributes. That way you only need an HTTP
client and parse a bit of text. It allows you to choose whatever client
technology you like best. You can even configure a separate HTTP
connector for administration and monitoring purposes, so that it will
always be available independent of the load of the normal production

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message