tomcat-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject Re: Tomcat and HTTP chunk extensions
Date Wed, 05 Jan 2011 19:43:18 GMT
EOIN MCQUILLAN wrote:
> Mark I'm not sure I fully agree with your last answers. The purpose, to me,
> would be to extend the capabilities of chunked transfer encoding rather than to
> implement chunked transfer encoding. They are optional after all. Being optional
> then I would view them moe as a feature or extension but this is merely wording
> so I am splitting hairs here.

You may have missed an important part of an earlier answer by Mark : chunked encoding is a

transfer encoding.
It means that if you have

client <----> gateway <----> tomcat

then it is very possible that between tomcat and the gateway there would be chunked
encoding, but between the gateway and the client there would not. Or vice-versa.  Or the
chunks may have different sizes.  The gateway can decide, because it does not affect the
*content* of the message. So if you rely on the fact that the tomcat application would add

something to the chunk header, and the client would automatically see it, you may have a
problem.