tomcat-users mailing list archives

Subject Re: Tomcat and HTTP chunk extensions
Date Wed, 05 Jan 2011 14:29:21 GMT
Thanks for the reply André.

I am taking my terminology from RFC 2616 so "chunk-extension" should be the
right terminology I think.

I don't think multiparting would be the way to go in this case. Really with the
chunking extensions the idea for me would be to mid-request be able to
communicate between client and server. The request will be fairly long lived and
involves a lot of data being transferred.

       Chunked-Body   = *chunk

       chunk          = chunk-size [ chunk-extension ] CRLF
                        chunk-data CRLF
       chunk-size     = 1*HEX
       last-chunk     = 1*("0") [ chunk-extension ] CRLF

       chunk-extension= *( ";" chunk-ext-name [ "=" chunk-ext-val ] )
       chunk-ext-name = token
       chunk-ext-val  = token | quoted-string
       chunk-data     = chunk-size(OCTET)
       trailer        = *(entity-header CRLF)

From: André Warnier <>
To: Tomcat Users List <>
Sent: Wednesday, 5 January, 2011 14:16:08
Subject: Re: Tomcat and HTTP chunk extensions

> Hi,
>      I'm looking at extending a web application we have so as HTTP POSTs sent
>to it will contain information in the form of chunk extensions. In addition on
>reply to these POST requests I would like to write a chunk extension back to the
>     Is there anything in the API which would allow me to a) extract the
>extension from the request b) add detail in the form of a chunk extension to the
>     I have been looking at online documentation and all I can find at present
>is that Tomcat looks like it supports reading chunk extensions but I can see
>nothing about being able to write chunk extensions or access the detail from a
>chunk extension.
>    I am using version 6.0.29. If anyone has any ideas or links on this topic it
>would be greatly appreciated.
I have never heard of the term "chunk extension" before in a HTTP context.
Are you sure that this is the right term for what you are trying to find, or
achieve ?

Maybe that is why you are not finding any information ?

Maybe you talking about a POST in "multipart/form-data" format ?
(and a response in a similar multi-part kind of format, although that would
cause problems with most browsers)

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail: