tomcat-users mailing list archives

From EOIN MCQUILLAN <eoin.mcquil...@btinternet.com>
Subject Re: Tomcat and HTTP chunk extensions
Date Wed, 05 Jan 2011 15:21:15 GMT
Mark - would you be able to explain to me then what your understanding is of the
intended use of chunk extensions within HTTP?

I understand what you are saying and I understand I may be pushing boundaries
with what I am doing here and may write some of my own stuff for this purpose
however the extensions look like a useful feature anyway so I'd be interested in
knowing your opinion on them.

________________________________
From: Mark Thomas <markt@apache.org>
To: Tomcat Users List <users@tomcat.apache.org>
Sent: Wednesday, 5 January, 2011 14:58:55
Subject: Re: Tomcat and HTTP chunk extensions

On 05/01/2011 14:52, EOIN MCQUILLAN wrote:
> Mark - maybe I am pushing the boundaries with what I am doing here however
>given
>
> the HTTP RFC provides us with a chunk extension capability then I would have
> assumed there would exist an set of API calls within Tomcat that allow us to
> read/write a chunk extension?

Your assumption is wrong. There is no such API.

The HTTP protocol does not allow for client/server during a
request/response. The client sends a request message, the server replies
with a response message. That is all you have to work with.

To repeat what I wrote before. Chunking is a transfer encoding. It
applies *per link*, not end to end.

Mark