tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Abid Hussain <dilax.huss...@googlemail.com>
Subject How to configure JNDI resource
Date Mon, 13 Dec 2010 16:18:44 GMT
Hi all,

I've a question about how to configure a datasource to be accessed via JNDI.

I have a datasource configured in server.xml (In
Server/GlobalNamingResources/Resource).

In the documentation
http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-6.0-doc/config/context.html#Resource_Definitions
it says that that a resource/datasource can be declared in the context
element of a webapp like this:
<Context ...>
  <Resource name="jdbc/EmployeeDB" auth="Container" type="javax.sql.DataSource"
     description="Employees Database for HR Applications"/>
</Context>

Also it is written that it is possible to declare a resource inside web.xml:
<resource-ref>
  <description>Employees Database for HR Applications</description>
  <res-ref-name>jdbc/EmployeeDB</res-ref-name>
  <res-ref-type>javax.sql.DataSource</res-ref-type>
  <res-auth>Container</res-auth>
</resource-ref>

My question is:
1) is it enough to declare the needed resource inside web.xml or
2) do I have to declare it also in the context element
for accessing it via JNDI?

And, if 2) is correct what is the use to declare a resouce in the
webapps web.xml when it has been already declared in the context
element of the webapp?

Regards,

Abid