tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Konstantin Kolinko <knst.koli...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Tomcat dying on its own
Date Mon, 06 Dec 2010 22:25:58 GMT
2010/12/6 Guillaume Carbonneau <guillaume.carbonneau@gmail.com>:
> Hi everyone,
> My tomcat server seems to die on its own without leaving any backtrace...
>
> The  last info I get in the logs are :
> Dec 3, 2010 6:11:35 PM org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Protocol pause
> INFO: Pausing Coyote HTTP/1.1 on http-8077
> Dec 3, 2010 6:11:36 PM org.apache.catalina.core.StandardService stop
> INFO: Stopping service Catalina
> Dec 3, 2010 6:11:36 PM org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Protocol destroy
> INFO: Stopping Coyote HTTP/1.1 on http-8077
>
> Running The Apache Tomcat 6.0 (6.0.29)
> Linux Oracle Red hat : 2.6.18-194.el5
> java version "1.6.0_21"
>
> This has happened more than once and will occur even if there is no
> traffic. restarting brings it back up but it has proven to be
> unreliable...

At least, it is not a sudden death.

Tomcat can be shut down by sending a certain string to port 8005 on
localhost (see the first lines of server.xml),  -> normal shutdown
or by sending a system signal that causes JVM to exit, or by calling
System.exit().
-> shutdown hook perform the shutdown

You can install a Listener and print a stacktrace when the stop event
happens.  The stack traces for the normal shutdown sequence and for
the shutdown hook will be different.

The Linux out-of-memory killer was already mentioned.

BTW, you are not alone: such a thread happens here every 4-6 months.

Best regards,
Konstantin Kolinko