tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Mark Eggers <its_toas...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: NetBeans Tomcat 5.5 problem
Date Wed, 29 Dec 2010 20:30:39 GMT
This is probably best asked on the NetBeans mailing lists or forums. However, I use NetBeans
6.9.1 and Tomcat 6.0.29 or Tomcat 5.5.31 all the time with no issues. NetBeans 7 is required
to support Tomcat 7.0.x.

You don't say:

a. Complete version of Tomcat (hint, 5.5.x)
b. Java version
c. Platform
d. Actual error message that NetBeans generates

The way NetBeans works is that it uses catalina.sh (catalina.bat on Windows) to start and
stop Tomcat. If you're working on Windows, you'll need to download the zip archive of the
core distribution and use that (not the service installer). In the NetBeans Services pane,
add a new server (under Servers) and point the location of the server to where you unzipped
the archive. Make sure that the type of server you add is Tomcat 5.5. I don't think NetBeans
will let you add a 5.5 server as a 6.0 server or vice versa.

If you right-mouse click on the added server, you'll be able to look at the properties of
a particular server. For a single instance of Tomcat 5.5.x, make sure that the values for
Catalina Home and Catalina Base point to where you unzipped the archive. There should be no
need to change the other properties.

Make sure that you (as a user) have appropriate file permissions to the Tomcat installation.

. . . . just my two cents.

/mde/