tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "McGibbney, Lewis John" <Lewis.McGibb...@gcu.ac.uk>
Subject RE: HTTP Status 500 - Server Internal Error
Date Sat, 18 Dec 2010 21:20:09 GMT
Hi Pid,

I understand this now, my initial understanding was that Tomcat was distributed with a version
of xerces (or some other) parser implementation and that the two libararies were in conflict
resulting in the errors during webapp launch.

I am trying to get to the bottom of what org.apache.xerces.util.XMLChar is and why it is causing
the exceptions and errors when I lanuch the webapp.

Can you expand on your final statement to provide more detail please, I am unfamilar with
this configuration.

Thanks
Lewis
From: Pid [pid@pidster.com]
Sent: 18 December 2010 21:07
To: Tomcat Users List
Subject: Re: HTTP Status 500 - Server Internal Error

On 18/12/2010 19:47, McGibbney, Lewis John wrote:
> Hello List,
>
> I am currently using Apache Nutch 1.2 and Tomcat 6.0.26 (first post on list). I recently
configured use of a plugin within Nutch which has been known to cause the above error due
to the fact that Tomcat and Jena (a framework for building semantic web apps) are using conflicting
versions of xerces library. I understand that previously I could replace the parser to match
in $CATALINA_HOME/common/lib,

Match what?

Tomcat 6 doesn't have a CATALINA_HOME/common/lib, unless you've
reconfigured the classloader.

Tomcat does however configure -Djava.endorsed.dirs=$CATALINA_HOME/endorsed

however I learned when running on JSE 5 the class loader delegation
process will default to the implementation inside the JDK. I have
therefore ended up reading about the endorsed standards override
mechanism but have strayed slightly and now think it is best to seek help!
> The Jena jar packaged with the Nutch plugin was released in 2004 so I am aware that I
would probably need to 'downgrade' the Tomcat xerces parser library for testing purposes.
I attach part of the exception report to give an idea of the problem. Any suggestions would
be appreciated. Thank you

> Lewis
>

> exception
>
> org.apache.jasper.JasperException: javax.servlet.ServletException: java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError:
org/apache/xerces/util/XMLChar
>         org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServletWrapper.handleJspException(JspServletWrapper.java:491)
>         org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServletWrapper.service(JspServletWrapper.java:401)
>         org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.serviceJspFile(JspServlet.java:313)
>         org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.service(JspServlet.java:260)
>         javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:717)
>

> root cause
>
> javax.servlet.ServletException: java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: org/apache/xerces/util/XMLChar
>         org.apache.jasper.runtime.PageContextImpl.doHandlePageException(PageContextImpl.java:862)
>         org.apache.jasper.runtime.PageContextImpl.handlePageException(PageContextImpl.java:791)
>         org.apache.jsp.search_jsp._jspService(search_jsp.java:886)
>         org.apache.jasper.runtime.HttpJspBase.service(HttpJspBase.java:70)
>         javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:717)
>         org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServletWrapper.service(JspServletWrapper.java:377)
>         org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.serviceJspFile(JspServlet.java:313)
>         org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.service(JspServlet.java:260)
>         javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:717)
>

> Glasgow Caledonian University is a registered Scottish charity, number SC021474
>
> Winner: Times Higher Education's Widening Participation Initiative of the Year 2009 and
Herald Society's Education Initiative of the Year 2009