tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "McGibbney, Lewis John" <Lewis.McGibb...@gcu.ac.uk>
Subject HTTP Status 500 - Server Internal Error
Date Sat, 18 Dec 2010 19:47:41 GMT
Hello List,

I am currently using Apache Nutch 1.2 and Tomcat 6.0.26 (first post on list). I recently configured
use of a plugin within Nutch which has been known to cause the above error due to the fact
that Tomcat and Jena (a framework for building semantic web apps) are using conflicting versions
of xerces library. I understand that previously I could replace the parser to match in $CATALINA_HOME/common/lib,
however I learned when running on JSE 5 the class loader delegation process will default to
the implementation inside the JDK. I have therefore ended up reading about the endorsed standards
override mechanism but have strayed slightly and now think it is best to seek help!
The Jena jar packaged with the Nutch plugin was released in 2004 so I am aware that I would
probably need to 'downgrade' the Tomcat xerces parser library for testing purposes. I attach
part of the exception report to give an idea of the problem. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thank you

Lewis

exception

org.apache.jasper.JasperException: javax.servlet.ServletException: java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError:
org/apache/xerces/util/XMLChar
        org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServletWrapper.handleJspException(JspServletWrapper.java:491)
        org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServletWrapper.service(JspServletWrapper.java:401)
        org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.serviceJspFile(JspServlet.java:313)
        org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.service(JspServlet.java:260)
        javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:717)

root cause

javax.servlet.ServletException: java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: org/apache/xerces/util/XMLChar
        org.apache.jasper.runtime.PageContextImpl.doHandlePageException(PageContextImpl.java:862)
        org.apache.jasper.runtime.PageContextImpl.handlePageException(PageContextImpl.java:791)
        org.apache.jsp.search_jsp._jspService(search_jsp.java:886)
        org.apache.jasper.runtime.HttpJspBase.service(HttpJspBase.java:70)
        javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:717)
        org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServletWrapper.service(JspServletWrapper.java:377)
        org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.serviceJspFile(JspServlet.java:313)
        org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.service(JspServlet.java:260)
        javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:717)

Winner: Times Higher Education's Widening Participation Initiative of the Year 2009 and Herald
Society's Education Initiative of the Year 2009