tomcat-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject Re: Shared SSL
Date Wed, 29 Dec 2010 20:27:53 GMT
Surya Mohan wrote:

> Hello,
>   I am trying to use a shared SSL to configure the app for multiple clients using Tomcat
5.5.

> It works fine for one client and trying to share the same for another client.
>
> SSL : TestServer1.mycomp.com
>
> <Host name="TestServer1.mycomp.com" appBase="webapps" unpackWARs="true" autoDeploy="true"
> <Context path="/web" docBase="C:/Program Files/App/client1/web" crossContext="false"
debug="0" />
> </Host>
>
> The above works fine, but when I try to add another client,
>

> <Host name="TestServer1.mycomp.com" appBase="webapps" unpackWARs="true" autoDeploy="true"
> <Context path="/client2/web" docBase="C:/Program Files/App/client2/web" crossContext="false"
debug="0" />
> </Host>
>
> I get the error child name cannot be unique.  I am using Tomcat to configure for the
first time. I can understand this is due to the same host name. Since we have only one SSL
created to share, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Try :

<Host name="TestServer1.mycomp.com" appBase="webapps" unpackWARs="true" autoDeploy="true"

   <Context path="/web" docBase="C:/Program Files/App/client1/web" crossContext="false"

debug="0" />
   <Context path="/client2/web" docBase="C:/Program Files/App/client2/web"
crossContext="false" debug="0" />
</Host>

(and remove the second <Host..>)

And go read : http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-5.5-doc/deployer-howto.html

(particularly the section "A word on Contexts" and following)

Note : you are not adding another "client", you are adding another "context" or "web
application".

Your usage of "client" (as a commercial term) is confusing in this context (technical).
In this (technical) context, a "client" is understood as a browser, which accesses a
server (Tomcat).
That for you the application "client1" and the application "client2" would effectively
each correspond to a different customer (commercially) is, literally, your business.