tomcat-users mailing list archives

From David Wall <d.w...@computer.org>
Subject Re: Can JSP code be served from a DB instead of files?
Date Tue, 28 Dec 2010 00:51:24 GMT

>>> Yes. You'll need to extend BaseDirContext in
>>> org.apache.naming.resources. For some examples, see FileDirContext and
>>> WarDirContext in the same package.
>> Thanks for the pointers, Mark.  From what you are saying, this would be
>> a Tomcat-specific solution.  I was hoping for something that would work
>> in standard way so it would be portable.
> I'm not sure there is going to be a pure-Java, container-agnostic
> solution. There is certainly nothing in the servlet spec that will help
> you with this, so your solution is likely to be either
> container-specific, or not a container-related solution (like using a
> db-based filesystem mounted at the OS level).

Thanks, Chris.  Yeah, I figured this could be a tough one as there
cannot be too many folks who want to store their JSPs in a database.
It's a first for me and it seems like forever I've been doing
JSP/servlets... ;-)

>> While we use Tomcat ourselves,
>> we've had users who run on other containers.  I'll take a look though
>> since maybe it's something that can be plugged into other containers, too.
> Good luck. In either case, a DataSourceDirContext would be a nice
> addition to Tomcat. ;)

Indeed!  You guys have done a wonderful job with Tomcat, that's for
sure.  I think we'll muddle along with writing the JSPs to the
filesystem for now and see what sort of issues pop up in the future.
The higher priority for us now is to make those generated JSPs do
something useful!

Thanks for your answers and consideration...