tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Christopher Schultz <>
Subject Re: Http11NioProtocol error 505 (or 400)
Date Mon, 27 Dec 2010 22:13:04 GMT

On 12/27/2010 5:02 PM, Olaf Tomczak wrote:
> 2010/12/27 André Warnier <>
>> I believe that in the default configuration, Tomcat expects to read the
>> request line *and all the headers* in the first read of maximum 8000 bytes.
>> The cookies are part of the headers.
>> Increase the maxHttpHeaderSize attribute to cover the headers of the
>> largest likely request and see what happens ?
> I did not increase this attribute, although I don't think my request was
> larger than 1500 bytes.

Please check. Can you post your test case?

> Besides I thought that the whole idea of non-blocking connector is
> that it doesn't have to read the whole request at once - isn't that
> what blocking connector does?

Non-blocking just means that your request processor threads don't block
waiting for data to arrive. The requirements of reading the request --
including all the headers -- do not change with the connector. Tomcat
needs to read the entire set of headers in order to route the request to
the right host and webapp. Also, Tomcat must have all headers in order
to perform some operations -- such as responding to "getHeaders" calls
which sometimes require that multiple separate HTTP header lines be
merged into a single method return value.

- -chris
Version: GnuPG v1.4.10 (MingW32)
Comment: Using GnuPG with Mozilla -

To unsubscribe, e-mail: