tomcat-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject Re: how does the tomcat log generated? log4j?
Date Sun, 26 Dec 2010 12:24:56 GMT
maven apache wrote:
> 2010/12/25 André Warnier <aw@ice-sa.com>
>
>> The logging page which I pointed you to, does not say that Tomcat uses
>> log4j.
>> It says that you /can/ configure Tomcat to use log4j, instead of the
>> default "juli" logging.  It even provides instructions to do so.
>>
>> The AccessLogValve documentation page does not say either that it uses
>> log4j.
>> But what it does say at the very beginning, is that the output file is
>> changed every day at midnight.  So if you only read the files up to last
>> night at midnight, you will never encounter the problem that something is
>> still writing to it.
>>
>> Also, I do not know what your ultimate purpose is, but there exist already
>> several open-source programs which read a logfile in the format produced by
>> the Tomcat AccessLogValve, parse it, and produce nice graphical statistics
>> out of it (like webalizer or awstats).  Maybe you are re-inventing something
>> which already exists ?
>>

> Unfortunately yes,our boss want our own analyzer system based on java. :(

Oh well, if the boss says so.
But then I would /still/ recommend writing something in java which reads the above
logfiles and feeds the database.  Seems a bit more reliable and more scaleable to me.
What if the database is not available at some point for whatever reason ? You stop tomcat,

or you lose the information ?
In any case, you should look at the current access log files, and count the number of
lines which it writes per second|minute|hour, and ask yourself if you want this number of

transactions going into your database system in real-time.

>> Web access statistics are not usually something which needs to be accurate
>> in real-time.
>> Having Tomcat writing them directly to a database may have a noticeable
>> impact on your applications performance. That's why this is something
>> usually done off-line.
>>
> In fact,I just analyzer the logs before yesterday,it is also my boss who
> require the real-time(almost) analysis .:)
>
> Thank you anyway,although having Tomcat writing logs directly to a database
> may cause performance problem,it is another way. My boss will decide it :)
>

>> maven apache wrote:
>>
>>> Perhaps I’m not making myself clear,in fact I want to do some processing
>>> work to the the logs created by the access log
>>> valve<
>>> http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-6.0-doc/config/valve.html#Access_Log_Valve
>>> database.
>>>
>>> For example:the log:
>>>
>>> 10.33.2.45 - - [08/Dec/2010:08:44:43 +0800] "GET /poi.txt HTTP/1.1"
>>> 200 672 "-" "Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US;