tomcat-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject Re: how does the tomcat log generated? log4j?
Date Sat, 25 Dec 2010 12:58:17 GMT
The logging page which I pointed you to, does not say that Tomcat uses log4j.
It says that you /can/ configure Tomcat to use log4j, instead of the default "juli"
logging.  It even provides instructions to do so.

The AccessLogValve documentation page does not say either that it uses log4j.
But what it does say at the very beginning, is that the output file is changed every day
at midnight.  So if you only read the files up to last night at midnight, you will never
encounter the problem that something is still writing to it.

Also, I do not know what your ultimate purpose is, but there exist already several
open-source programs which read a logfile in the format produced by the Tomcat
AccessLogValve, parse it, and produce nice graphical statistics out of it (like webalizer

or awstats).  Maybe you are re-inventing something which already exists ?

Web access statistics are not usually something which needs to be accurate in real-time.
Having Tomcat writing them directly to a database may have a noticeable impact on your
applications performance. That's why this is something usually done off-line.