tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Christopher Schultz <>
Subject Re: IS that a good idea moving all the common libs?
Date Wed, 22 Dec 2010 20:21:26 GMT

On 12/22/2010 12:54 PM, Sylvain Laurent wrote:
> On 22 déc. 2010, at 12:49, Mark Thomas wrote:
>> It is do-able if you are prepared to accept the associated constraints:
>> - all web apps must use the exact same version of every shared library
>> - updating the shared libraries requires a Tomcat restart
>> - all of the shared web apps must be "well behaved" in a multiple
>> class-loader environment
> Maybe a bit off topic, but as far as I understood, OSGI based servers
> (e.g. Virgo) support this type of scenario. With multiple versions of
> shared libraries and the possibility to deploy newer versions. Of
> course every piece of code must be well behaved, osgi-compliant,
> etc...

I think that means they aren't shared if they can be different.

>> - one out of control web application can take down the whole instance
> Definitely a weakness of java... PHP and other scripting platforms do
> not suffer from this since each process is isolated (more or less).

This is more of a feature of the web server than the PHP interpreter:
Apache httpd could easily be run under a configuration where a crashed
PHP script could interfere with the operation of the server as a whole.

- -chris
Version: GnuPG v1.4.10 (MingW32)
Comment: Using GnuPG with Mozilla -

To unsubscribe, e-mail: