tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Filip Hanik - Dev Lists <devli...@hanik.com>
Subject Re: Tomcat 6.0.18 related NIO questions.
Date Wed, 22 Dec 2010 16:53:27 GMT
hi shrikant,
there are many benefits of NIO in a tomcat 6, the main being there is no longer a thread-per-connection
limit.
Note in Tomcat 7, even with the blocking connector, you can have more connections than threads.
The NIO connector will read your request headers in a non blocking fashion, it will also do
SSL negotiation in a non blocking fashion, so
while this is taking place, you're not holding a thread waiting for a client response.
Same thing, if you use send file, then the NIO connector can download a file to more than
one client using a single thread.
However, as soon as you enter a the HttpServlet.service method, all non blocking benefits
are gone. Per the servlet specification, the same
thread is used executing this method, and that means, blocking. Even if you do inputstream.read
or outputstream.write, and you use the NIO
connector, tomcat blocks these calls for you.
In Tomcat 7 (Servlet 3.0) you will be able to do a bit more async stuff using the async API,
but in Tomcat 6, those features only exists
using the Comet interface.

best
Filip