tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Christopher Schultz <>
Subject Re: HTTP Status 500 - Server Internal Error
Date Sat, 18 Dec 2010 19:57:20 GMT

On 12/18/2010 2:47 PM, McGibbney, Lewis John wrote:
> I am currently using Apache Nutch 1.2 and Tomcat 6.0.26 (first post on list).

> I recently configured use of a plugin within Nutch which has been
> known to cause the above error due to the fact that Tomcat and Jena
> (a framework for building semantic web apps) are using conflicting
> versions of xerces library.

Tomcat 6.0.26 does not ship with a Xerces library: it uses whatever XML
parser is provided by the JDK. If Jena requires an XML library, you
should have that library installed in the webapp's WEB-INF/lib directory.

> I understand that previously I could
> replace the parser to match in $CATALINA_HOME/common/lib, however I
> learned when running on JSE 5 the class loader delegation process
> will default to the implementation inside the JDK.

This ClassLoader delegation process is specified by the servlet spec,
and I think has been consistent for quite some time: the webapp has
first dibs on providing the classes (except for some special ones like
java.lang.* and other non-overridable packages).

> org.apache.jasper.JasperException: javax.servlet.ServletException: java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError:
>         org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServletWrapper.handleJspException(
>         org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServletWrapper.service(
>         org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.serviceJspFile(
>         org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.service(
>         javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(
> root cause
> javax.servlet.ServletException: java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: org/apache/xerces/util/XMLChar
>         org.apache.jasper.runtime.PageContextImpl.doHandlePageException(
>         org.apache.jasper.runtime.PageContextImpl.handlePageException(
>         org.apache.jsp.search_jsp._jspService(
>         org.apache.jasper.runtime.HttpJspBase.service(
>         javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(
>         org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServletWrapper.service(
>         org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.serviceJspFile(
>         org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.service(
>         javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(

That certainly does look like a library incompatibility. What version of
Xerces ships with Jena? What happens if you simply remove Xerces from
your webapp entirely? If Jena is using JAXP, then (ideally) everything
should work.

- -chris
Version: GnuPG v1.4.10 (MingW32)
Comment: Using GnuPG with Mozilla -