tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>
Subject Re: tomcat 7 and context (migrating from 5.0)
Date Mon, 13 Dec 2010 14:10:12 GMT
On 13/12/2010 14:03, Jeremy Monnet wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 13, 2010 at 2:47 PM, Caldarale, Charles R
> <Chuck.Caldarale@unisys.com> wrote:
>>> I just have a process that generate a MYAPP.war (upper case)
>>
>> So fix your broken process so it generates the correct name.
> :-)
>

>> If you insist on using a webapp name that doesn't match the expected URL, then you
must keep the webapp *outside* of the <Host> appBase directory, and create a conf/Catalina/[host]/[appName].xml
file containing a <Context> element with a docBase attribute that points to the deployed
location.  Note that [appName] above is what you want to appear in the URL.

> OK, so in conclusion, there is no way to reproduce the way tomcat 5.0
> worked (on that particular topic) on tomcat 7.0.

Correct. The various changes made in 5.5.x, 6.0.x and 7.0.x to the
deployment process that lead to the relationship between context path,
context name and base file name [1] were introduced to fix a variety of
deployment issues including double deployment, skipping context.xml and
a handful of other issues. It is more limiting than 5.0.x but it is also
more predictable and hopefully has none of the edge case bugs.

I'd also add that a lot of the 5.0.x behaviour was undocumented and
unintended. The documented/official way of doing things hasn't changed
much over the years.

Mark

[1] http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-7.0-doc/config/context.html#Introduction