tomcat-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject Re: URIEncoding problem ver 6.0.29 64 bit on windows
Date Fri, 10 Dec 2010 13:23:38 GMT
imrezol wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I set URIEncoding="UTF-8" at http connector  in server.xml:
>
> <Connector port="8080" protocol="HTTP/1.1"
>                connectionTimeout="20000"
>                redirectPort="8443" URIEncoding="UTF-8"/>
>
> restart tomcat service and after that type an url with special charaters
> like this:
>
> http://localhost:8080/mywebapp/docs/Felhasználói_kézikönyv.pdf<http://localhost:8080/mywebapp/docs/Felhaszn%C3%A1l%C3%B3i_k%C3%A9zik%C3%B6nyv.pdf>
>
> and I get a 404 error message:
>
> *description* *The requested resource
> (/*mywebapp*/*docs*/Felhaszn%C3%A1l%C3%B3i_k%C3%A9zik%C3%B6nyv.pdf)
> is not available.*
>
> If I do the same settings with 6.0.29 32 bit verison, it's work fine.

Hi.

That's an interesting question.
Before we tackle this, can you answer this question, precisely :
When you mention trying this with a 32-bit and a 64-bit version "of Tomcat", do you mean
that you tried this on the exact same machine, with the same version of Tomcat, and with
the exact same .pdf file under /mywebapp ?

(I am quoting "of Tomcat" above, because Tomcat itself would be the same, being Java code.

  It is the JVM which is different)(which may already give a hint).

I consider the question interesting, because personally, I have always found this
"URIEncoding" attribute rather questionable, in the HTTP and URI RFC sense.

As I understand the specs, this attribute should not exist.  A HTTP server should take the

URI as it comes, decode it as per the uri-encoding/decoding scheme, and then just use the

*byte* result 'as is' to locate the resource on disk.  It should not second-guess the
client's intent.