tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>
Subject Re: configure the web.xml file to display the index.jsp page of a web application
Date Thu, 09 Dec 2010 21:50:28 GMT

Pix,

On 12/7/2010 5:43 AM, pix_siro wrote:
> I'm working on Ubuntu 9.10 where I have installed Tomcat 7. I have a problem
> with following web.xml file: the program work fine but when I try to connect
> to localhost:8080/OverEncrypt I can not show any page even if I set
> index.jsp.

A request to http://localhost:8080/OverEncrypt will be internally
redirected to http://localhost:8080/OverEncrypt/ which will match this
url-pattern in your web.xml:

>         <servlet-mapping>
>                 <servlet-name>milton</servlet-name>
>                 <url-pattern>/*</url-pattern>
>         </servlet-mapping>

Does your "milton" servlet know how to serve index.jsp?

>                 <init-param>
>
> <param-name>authentication.handler.classes</param-name>
>
> <param-value>com.bradmcevoy.http.http11.auth.BasicAuthHandler</param-value>
>                 </init-param>

Perhaps your own code does something special, but is there a reason not
to use container-managed authentication and authorization?

>                 <init-param>
>                         <param-name>filter_0</param-name>
>
> <param-value>com.bradmcevoy.http.DebugFilter</param-value>
>                 </init-param>

Hmm... are you implementing your own filtering on top of the servlet
spec? Sounds like a waste of engineering time.

>         <session-config>
>                 <session-timeout>30</session-timeout>
>         </session-config>

This is the default and is unnecessary.

>         <welcome-file-list>
>                 <welcome-file>index.jsp</welcome-file>
>         </welcome-file-list>

This is part of the default, and probably not necessary unless you also
have index.html in your webapp and want it to be ignored.

- -chris