tomcat-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject Re: Tomcat dying on its own
Date Wed, 08 Dec 2010 23:23:57 GMT
Mark Thomas wrote:
>> Mark,

>>> There have been cases of libraries calling System.exit() on some error
>>> conditions.
>> Isn't there some indication of a System.exit() in catalina.out?
>>
>> If there isn't, we could write an optional Listener that could install a
>> shutdown hook that will complain to stdout if the JVM goes down without
>> Tomcat's "permission".
>
> Been there, tried that. There is no easy way (I could find) to
> distinguish between a legitimate and illegitimate shut-down.

Naive suggestion : how about some global flag which the legitimate shutdown paths set (and

the others don't know about), and which the "hook" in question checks ?

Other naive suggestion/question : something somewhere already intercepts a System.exit(),

if i judge by the shutdown messages of the Connectors.  How about making the flag a code
or string, which would indicate which legitimate agent triggered it, and which the things

which print the Connector shutdown messages obtain and duly add to their shutdown message

?  The absence of ditto (or the initialisation content of it) would be a telltale sign.