tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Rainer Jung <rainer.j...@kippdata.de>
Subject Re: Tomcat dying on its own
Date Tue, 07 Dec 2010 08:52:10 GMT
On 06.12.2010 23:36, Guillaume Carbonneau wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 6, 2010 at 2:25 PM, Konstantin Kolinko
> <knst.kolinko@gmail.com>  wrote:
>> 2010/12/6 Guillaume Carbonneau<guillaume.carbonneau@gmail.com>:
>>> Hi everyone,
>>> My tomcat server seems to die on its own without leaving any backtrace...
>>>
>>> The  last info I get in the logs are :
>>> Dec 3, 2010 6:11:35 PM org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Protocol pause
>>> INFO: Pausing Coyote HTTP/1.1 on http-8077
>>> Dec 3, 2010 6:11:36 PM org.apache.catalina.core.StandardService stop
>>> INFO: Stopping service Catalina
>>> Dec 3, 2010 6:11:36 PM org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Protocol destroy
>>> INFO: Stopping Coyote HTTP/1.1 on http-8077
>>>
>>> Running The Apache Tomcat 6.0 (6.0.29)
>>> Linux Oracle Red hat : 2.6.18-194.el5
>>> java version "1.6.0_21"
>>>
>>> This has happened more than once and will occur even if there is no
>>> traffic. restarting brings it back up but it has proven to be
>>> unreliable...
>>>

>> At least, it is not a sudden death.
>>
>> Tomcat can be shut down by sending a certain string to port 8005 on
>> localhost (see the first lines of server.xml),  ->  normal shutdown
>> or by sending a system signal that causes JVM to exit, or by calling
>> System.exit().
>> ->  shutdown hook perform the shutdown
>>
>> You can install a Listener and print a stacktrace when the stop event
>> happens.  The stack traces for the normal shutdown sequence and for
>> the shutdown hook will be different.
>>
>> The Linux out-of-memory killer was already mentioned.
>>
>> BTW, you are not alone: such a thread happens here every 4-6 months.
>>
>> Best regards,
>> Konstantin Kolinko

> I seem to have solved the problem at least temporarily through this solution :
> I installed the latest JDK on the deployed machine and ran tomcat
> through catalina.sh debug, then "run"
> No crash so far so good.

When starting Tomcat interactively you should be aware that some shells
kill all child processes when you log out (or get logged out
automatically). There's "nohup" though.

I'm not sure what kind of signal is used then, so I can't tell whether
the orderly shutdown messages in your logs contradict that theory or not.

Regards,

Rainer