tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Jordan Michaels <jor...@viviotech.net>
Subject Re: JVM and DNS Failover
Date Fri, 03 Dec 2010 19:27:10 GMT
On 12/03/2010 11:11 AM, Caldarale, Charles R wrote:
>> From: Jordan Michaels [mailto:jordan@viviotech.net]
>> Subject: SOT: JVM and DNS Failover
>
>> However, the JVM doesn't seem to be doing that. Whenever this name
>> server goes offline, the application dies because something it's doing
>> (we didn't write it) needs to resolve in order for the site to load.
>
> Not sure if this is directly related, but it might point to some things to look into:
> http://java-monitor.com/forum/showthread.php?t=181
>
> However, if the app is doing its own DNS lookups (not sure how it would), the JVM isn't
involved.

>   - Chuck

Thanks Chuck.

I have been looking at those settings as well.

On this page:
http://download.oracle.com/javase/6/docs/technotes/guides/net/properties.html

Under "Sun implementation-specific properties", there are a couple
settings which seem like they might be likely culprits:

sun.net.client.defaultConnectTimeout (default: -1)
sun.net.client.defaultReadTimeout (default: -1)

The docs mention HTTP and FTP connections, but I wonder if it could
apply to DNS connections as well? And... if the default timeout is
"forever"... then maybe this could explain why it's not failing over?

-Jordan