tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Jordan Michaels <jor...@viviotech.net>
Subject SOT: JVM and DNS Failover
Date Fri, 03 Dec 2010 18:39:25 GMT
Hey Folks,

I apologize for the slightly off-topic post but I'm having trouble
researching this issue so I figured it might be worthwhile to make a
post where folks more familiar with the intricacies of the JVM might be
able to point me in the right direction.

We have an application running on top of Tomcat. Normally, the
application runs great, but recently one of the DNS servers that the OS
uses has been having trouble, and dies. From an OS point of view, it's
not a problem. The OS simply queries the secondary resolver instead and
goes happily on it's way.

However, the JVM doesn't seem to be doing that. Whenever this name
server goes offline, the application dies because something it's doing
(we didn't write it) needs to resolve in order for the site to load.
This makes it so that whenever this single resolver goes down, the
entire site goes down. It's incredibly frustrating because it should be
failing over to the secondary resolver just like the OS does and things
would be fine.

Would any of you be able to point me to some documentation on how the
JVM handles DNS resolving? I'm hoping there are JVM settings that can be
tweaked to help force the JVM to fail over to the secondary resolver.

I'm using version 1.6 JVM.

Any pointers anyone could offer on this would be most appreciated.

Thank you in advance!

-Jordan