tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Markus Schönhaber <tomcat-us...@list-post.mks-mail.de>
Subject Re: automatic deployment without server.xml - bad request
Date Fri, 03 Dec 2010 00:29:57 GMT
02.12.2010 20:44, Pid:

> On 12/2/10 12:34 PM, Justin Case wrote:
>>> From: Pid <pid@pidster.com>
>>> If the request isn't being routed to your application,  then without a
>>> ROOT application the host hasn't got a mechanism to serve any  response
>>> other than an error.
>>
>> Error is fine, as long it's a 404 (and not this enigmatic 400)...
>
> 400 isn't enigmatic and /is/ an error.  ;)

Yes, it is an error. But in this case, I, too, consider the error erroneous.
A status code of 400 basically means that the request was syntactically
b0rked. But, as I understand it, that's not the problem here: the
request is syntactically fine - it fails because the server is
misconfigured. Therefore a status code of 500 seems more appropriate to me.

--
Regards
  mks