tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Pid <...@pidster.com>
Subject Re: automatic deployment without server.xml - bad request
Date Thu, 02 Dec 2010 10:45:53 GMT
On 12/2/10 9:01 AM, Justin Case wrote:
>> From: "Caldarale, Charles R" <Chuck.Caldarale@unisys.com>
>
>> JSPs are  only compiled upon first reference, not before.  That results in a
>> slight  (usually very slight) pause for the first guy in,
>>
>> so if you want to pre-compile  them, there is a script available to do so:
>> http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-6.0-doc/jasper-howto.html#Production%20Configuration
>
> Interesting, thank you. I will look into this.
> I would have still expected that in the automatic deployment with the single
> context.xml, tomcat still does that. For the first user, with delay, no problem.
> But it threw an unlogged error 400 and didn't compile zit, thus my original
> problem stays...

This is either because your application is not deployed, or because the
request path you're using does not match the actual request path deployed.

When you start Tomcat, is there a message in the logs saying:

02-Dec-2010 10:44:17 org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig deployDirectory
INFO: Deploying web application directory com.mycompany.myapp

OR

02-Dec-2010 10:44:17 org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig deployDirectory
INFO: Deploying web application directory myapp

?

What is the exact URL (you may omit the actual domain if you wish) that
you then request?