tomcat-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject Re: New jsvc (commons-daemon-native); catalina.out is owned by root - WTF?
Date Wed, 01 Dec 2010 11:20:27 GMT
Gregor, (by the way, hi!)

> But what's really puzzling me - and for which I don't have any
> explanation - is, that with the old version of jsvc, catalina.out had
> ${TOMCAT_USER}-ownership (mind you: in the startup-script there's a
> "su ${TOMCAT-USER} before starting jsvc), and to me it seems that this
> has changed with the new version.

As far as I know, these startup scripts are created by the packagers of Debian, RedHat
etc.. when they wrap Tomcat in a platform-specific package.
/They/ are the ones who decide how they call up jsvc, where the logfiles go, under what
permissions etc..

There is no trace of jsvc in my (catalina_home)/bin/*.sh files.

And in general, these packaged Tomcats do not use these .sh scripts anyway, everything
happens in /etc/init.d/tomcat...

So maybe you should discuss this issue with the packagers for Debian, RedHat etc..