tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Johnny Clark <>
Subject How to Run a Single Application instead of all Applications under webapps
Date Thu, 02 Dec 2010 17:41:36 GMT
I have used Jboss for a long time, but recently we've removed our dependencies on a full blown
J2EE container so that we can run in Tomcat.  I am trying to modify my development environment
to support our standard workflow, but I can't figure out how to get Tomcat to run a specific
application as opposed to every application under the webapps directory.  I've done a lot
of searching, I'm beginning to think that Tomcat does not support this type of operation,
but I wanted to verify that before I rethink our process.

So IF Tomcat worked just like Jboss then this is how it WOULD work.  I have two versions of
my application, compiled and ready to run.  They are in the following directories:

When I want to start up MyApp_V1, I would pass that name into the startup.bat or catalina.bat.
 In my Jboss deployments I simply start Jboss using 'run -c MyApp_V1'.  Our application's
start up time is not insignificant, so starting both apps is a very bad thing, especially
since I'll probably have more than two versions.  Obviously, I could copy MyApp_Vx in and
out of the webapps directory as needed, but this type of operation can confuse my IDE, so
I'd like to avoid it.

I am running on Windows XP and the tomcat version is 6.0.29.

Thanks in advance for the assistance.