tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Näcker, Stephan (UIT)" <Stephan.Naec...@union-investment.de>
Subject AW: Tomcat 7.0.2: Cannot stop thread started by web application
Date Thu, 16 Dec 2010 09:10:30 GMT
You're right. The threads are being shutdown asynchronously.

Thanks,
Stephan

-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----
Von: Mark Thomas [mailto:markt@apache.org]
Gesendet: Mittwoch, 15. Dezember 2010 17:16
An: Tomcat Users List
Betreff: Re: Tomcat 7.0.2: Cannot stop thread started by web application

On 15/12/2010 15:41, "Näcker, Stephan (UIT)" wrote:
> Hey there,
>
> I 'm working on the following log file output:
>
> 15.12.2010 15:37:51 org.apache.catalina.loader.WebappClassLoader clearReferencesThreads
> SCHWERWIEGEND: The web application [/phoenix-webapp] appears to have started a thread
named [Replication Thread] but has failed to stop it. This is very likely to create a memory
leak.
> 15.12.2010 15:37:51 org.apache.catalina.loader.WebappClassLoader clearReferencesThreads
> SCHWERWIEGEND: The web application [/phoenix-webapp] appears to have started a thread
named [Replication Thread] but has failed to stop it. This is very likely to create a memory
leak.

> These are threads started by the EHCache cache manager. When undeploying the web application,
Tomcat fails to stop it.

> I implemented a web application predestroy listener, which is called while undeployment
and shuts down the cache. When monitoring the threads, JConsole tells me that there are no
replication threads left running.

> So, I 'm wondering if there is a serious problem leading to memory leaks? Or does Tomcat
stops the threads? Or does Tomcat collect running threads information while EHCache has not
yet finished shutting down? Has anyone any idea?

Sounds like the threads are being shutdown asynchronously. Tomcat
triggers the ServletContextListeners before checking for leaks. If that
is the case you should be fine but in your shoes I'd want to confirm
that that is the case.

Mark