tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "N├Ącker, Stephan (UIT)" <Stephan.Naec...@union-investment.de>
Subject Tomcat 7.0.2: Cannot stop thread started by web application
Date Wed, 15 Dec 2010 15:41:29 GMT
Hey there,

I 'm working on the following log file output:

15.12.2010 15:37:51 org.apache.catalina.loader.WebappClassLoader clearReferencesThreads
SCHWERWIEGEND: The web application [/phoenix-webapp] appears to have started a thread named
[Replication Thread] but has failed to stop it. This is very likely to create a memory leak.
15.12.2010 15:37:51 org.apache.catalina.loader.WebappClassLoader clearReferencesThreads
SCHWERWIEGEND: The web application [/phoenix-webapp] appears to have started a thread named
[Replication Thread] but has failed to stop it. This is very likely to create a memory leak.

These are threads started by the EHCache cache manager. When undeploying the web application,
Tomcat fails to stop it.

I implemented a web application predestroy listener, which is called while undeployment and
shuts down the cache. When monitoring the threads, JConsole tells me that there are no replication
threads left running.

So, I 'm wondering if there is a serious problem leading to memory leaks? Or does Tomcat stops
the threads? Or does Tomcat collect running threads information while EHCache has not yet
finished shutting down? Has anyone any idea?

Stephan