tomcat-users mailing list archives

From dB. <>
Subject RE: Tomcat 5.5: how doesone configure an authenticator valve?
Date Tue, 02 Nov 2010 20:54:35 GMT
Thanks for your help. I should have done this (logging) in the first place, sorry. The filter
is invoked properly.
The new problem is that the headers aren't added (or sent to the client). The code looks like

			response.addHeader("WWW-Authenticate", "Negotiate");
			response.addHeader("WWW-Authenticate", "NTLM");
			response.setHeader("Connection", "close");

This is executed for sure (put a logging statement in front of it) but has no effect, the
response looks like a boilerplate 401.
Where did my WWW-Authenticate headers and "Connection: close" go? (Maybe it helps, it does
work in 6.x).

PS: you're looking at some intermediate waffle check-in, the namespace was renamed at some
point, it's waffle.apache.

dB. @
Moscow|Geneva|Seattle|New York

-----Original Message-----
From: Konstantin Kolinko []
Sent: Tuesday, November 02, 2010 8:39 AM
To: Tomcat Users List
Subject: Re: Tomcat 5.5: how doesone configure an authenticator valve?

2010/11/2 dB. <>:
> I am trying to help someone with a Tomcat 5.5 implementation of waffle (
It has authenticator valve that works well with tc6.
> I declare a valve inside the web app:
> Context.xml
> <?xml version='1.0' encoding='utf-8'?> <Context>
>  <Valve className="waffle.apache.NegotiateAuthenticator"
> principalFormat="fqn" roleFormat="both" />
>  <Realm className="waffle.apache.WindowsRealm" /> </Context>

Note, that META-INF/context.xml  (case matters!) is copied to
$CATALINA_BASE\conf\Catalina\localhost\<yourapp>.xml  when the
webappication starts for the first time.  You can have a stale copy

I would suggest you to enable more detailed logging.

Something like adding the following line to conf/

BTW, the waffle docs say "waffle.apache.NegotiateAuthenticator", but
in the source code it is "waffle.tomcat.NegotiateAuthenticator", i.e.
a different package

Are there any interesting messages in the log filess already?

Best regards,
Konstantin Kolinko

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail: