tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Vikram Vaswani <vikram.melonf...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Deploying Tomcat app with Ant to non-webapps location (Windows)
Date Wed, 03 Nov 2010 09:26:51 GMT
Hi Charles,

>> I am able to do this manually, by creating a separate context file in
>> Catalina/localhost/lcs.xml and specifying the C:\lcs path as the
>> Context docbase. However, I would like this to happen automatically.
>
> What do you want to happen automatically?  Once the application and the lcs.xml file
are in place, the next deployment should consist only of copying the new version on top of
the old one - the <Context> element in Catalina/[host]/[appName].xml need not change.

Sorry if I wasn't clear. Let me try to explain better:

By default, when I compile and install the application named 'lcs'
with Ant, it is installed to the Tomcat webapps directory. So the path
is $Tomcat\webapps\lcs.

I would instead like to have it installed to c:\lcs

I would also like requests for /lcs to be served from the c:\lcs directory.

I'm able to do this manually: I copy the application manually from
$Tomcat\webapps\lcs to c:\lcs, set up an lcs.xml context fragment in
Catalina/localhost, and it works the way I want it to.

However, when I next compile and install the app with Ant, it is again
deployed to $Tomcat\webapps\lcs, when instead I'd like it to go to
c:\lcs.

Does that make sense? From my reading of the manual, it seems like
this is possible but I'm not able to get it working in practice.

>> However, despite doing this, the application is still always deployed
>> to C:\program files\Tomcat\webapps\lcs instead of C:\lcs.
>
> So fix your script to copy the webapp to the desired location.

When you say "your script", which script do you mean? I'm using the
standard Ant build.xml that's shown in the Tomcat online docs.

Thanks,

Vikram