tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Konstantin Kolinko <>
Subject Re: How to stop tomcat to be run more than two times.
Date Wed, 03 Nov 2010 22:55:28 GMT
2010/11/3 Pid <>:
> On 03/11/2010 03:59, Bill Wang wrote:
>> Hi all,
>> I have installed apache-tomcat-6.0.29 on my solaris box, then i start the
>> tomcat services succsfully.
>> But my question is, when the tomcat services is running, I try to start it
>> again, the script ( don't stop me, and start the second tomcat
>> services.
>> So how can I let tomcat to check, if there are exist tomcat services, do not
>> start?
> Are you sure it actually starts?
> If the shutdown port is not -1 and is identical on the second attempt,
> it won't be able to bind to the port and will not start.

Adding to the above,

Set a value for the CATALINA_PID environment variable. You may do so
in the bin/ file.   You may want to get the latest /bin/*.sh
files from svn, as there were useful changes to the pid file handling

Best regards,
Konstantin Kolinko

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail: