tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Caldarale, Charles R" <Chuck.Caldar...@unisys.com>
Subject RE: Tomcat 6.0.29 using more and more RAM until it collapses?
Date Thu, 11 Nov 2010 19:10:58 GMT
From: Brian [mailto:bbprefix-mail@yahoo.com]
> Subject: Tomcat 6.0.29 using more and more RAM until it collapses?

> I don't think my app is taking all this RAM

It is.

> when I restart it, the RAM usage doesn't go down.

Classic symptom of a webapp leaking memory due to holding onto

> It seems like if Tomcat is leaving garbage in the JVM
> or something like that.

Nope - it's your webapp.

> Does anybody know what should I do to solve this?

Fix your webapp(s).  Start with a heap profiler, and look to see what's consuming the space.
 The problem may also include memory leaks outside of the heap, such as failing to close files,
or starting and forgetting about auxiliary threads.

Start reading here:
http://wiki.apache.org/tomcat/FAQ/Memory
http://wiki.apache.org/tomcat/OutOfMemory
http://wiki.apache.org/tomcat/MemoryLeakProtection