tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Caldarale, Charles R" <Chuck.Caldar...@unisys.com>
Subject RE: Tomcat application with memory leak
Date Wed, 10 Nov 2010 15:08:09 GMT
> From: Robillard, Greg L [mailto:greg.l.robillard@lmco.com]
> Subject: Tomcat application with memory leak

> In an attempt to resolve the problem, I increased memory to 2048.

That doesn't resolve it, it merely postpones it - as you discovered.

> How can I run 2 tomcat containers on the same server, so I
> can separate the applications for further debugging.

You would have to configure them for different IP addresses or ports - which would likely
impact your clients.  You might well spend more time on that than you would in fixing the
real problem.

> 2.  What are some steps to use in identifying the problem.

Run a profiler or other heap analysis tool to find out where your webapps are leaking memory.
 Take a look at these for more information:

http://wiki.apache.org/tomcat/FAQ/Memory
http://wiki.apache.org/tomcat/OutOfMemory

 - Chuck