tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Caldarale, Charles R" <Chuck.Caldar...@unisys.com>
Subject RE: Connector Setting Problem in tomcat 6.0.29
Date Sat, 06 Nov 2010 19:45:26 GMT
> From: Christopher Schultz [mailto:chris@christopherschultz.net]
> Subject: Re: Connector Setting Problem in tomcat 6.0.29

> If that's the case, I find that surprising. I always like to avoid
> violating the principle of least surprise. minSpareThreads as a name
> implies to me that those spares are /always/ available, even immediately
> after startup.

I think you're now surpised.  The minSpareThreads name looks like a carry-over from the old
pooling mechanism, which has been replaced by java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor from
the JRE.  The corresponding parameter in that class is named corePoolSize - probably a more
appropriate term.  Obtaining a thread from the pool (and thereby triggering creation) does
not occur until a request arrives at the connector.

 - Chuck