tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Caldarale, Charles R" <Chuck.Caldar...@unisys.com>
Subject RE: Deploying Tomcat app with Ant to non-webapps location (Windows)
Date Wed, 03 Nov 2010 05:24:17 GMT
> From: Vikram Vaswani [mailto:vikram.melonfire@gmail.com]
> Subject: Deploying Tomcat app with Ant to non-webapps location (Windows)

> When deployed, the application ends up at C:\program
> files\Tomcat\lcs (lcs is the application name).

Not an appropriate spot, so it's good that you want to move it.  Better if it were in C:\Program
Files\Tomcat\webapps\lcs.

> I am able to do this manually, by creating a separate context file in
> Catalina/localhost/lcs.xml and specifying the C:\lcs path as the
> Context docbase. However, I would like this to happen automatically.

What do you want to happen automatically?  Once the application and the lcs.xml file are in
place, the next deployment should consist only of copying the new version on top of the old
one - the <Context> element in Catalina/[host]/[appName].xml need not change.

> I read that if I place the context fragment in my applications
> META-INF/context.xml file, then this should happen automatically.

Still don't know what you want to happen.  The META-INF/context.xml location for the webapp's
<Context> element is useful only when the webapp is located in the <Host> appBase
directory.  Note that the docBase attribute is illegal when the <Context> element is
in META-INF/context.xml.

> However, despite doing this, the application is still always deployed
> to C:\program files\Tomcat\webapps\lcs instead of C:\lcs.

So fix your script to copy the webapp to the desired location.

 - Chuck