tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Robillard, Greg L" <greg.l.robill...@lmco.com>
Subject Tomcat application with memory leak
Date Wed, 10 Nov 2010 14:50:43 GMT
Version: 6.0.26

I currently have 2 apps deployed in my tomcat container.  I originally was running tomcat
with 1024M of memory.  The symptom was the applications would stop responding after approximately
5 days.  The log stated there was out of memory errors.

Symptoms:

1. Users could not access either of the applications within the tomcat container 2. Tomcat
did not respond to the shutdown script (had to be killed with kill -9) 3. Tomcat log files
had stopped responding.
4. There were a  lot of messages (134) "java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap space" in the
localhost* logfile (normally there are a few or none)

In an attempt to resolve the problem, I increased memory to 2048.  This allows the applications
to work for about 3 weeks before like symptoms happen.

I have two questions:

1.  How can I run 2 tomcat containers on the same server, so I can separate the applications
for further debugging.
2.  What are some steps to use in identifying the problem.

Best regards,

Greg