tomcat-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject Re: Problems installing Tomcat on Windows 2008
Date Fri, 19 Nov 2010 15:16:32 GMT
Richard Pless wrote:
> If I run startup.bat, Tomcat starts successfully.  I navigated to
> http://localhost:8080 and saw the Tomcat page.

Ok, that means at least that there is nothing wrong with your basic Tomcat, and that you
have at least a working JVM.
It does not really tell us if it is running under a 32-bit or 64-bit JVM though.

Starting with startup.bat also does not use the tomcat6.exe wrapper, so it still does not

tell us why that one fails.

As Chuck mentions, the type of error you are seeing is typical of trying to start a 64-bit

JVM with a 32-bit tomcat6.exe, or vice-versa.
You also mention that the Java tab on tomcat6w.exe says "use default".  Would that be the

first one found in the PATH ?
Do you have more than one JVM on the machine ?

If you just enter "java -version" in a command window, and then retry with the full path
to the java.exe which you think Tomcat is using, do you get the same answer ?