tomcat-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject Re: [OT] How to obtain the id of the current process
Date Thu, 18 Nov 2010 17:11:36 GMT
Christopher Schultz wrote:

> André,
>
> On 11/17/2010 4:50 PM, André Warnier wrote:
>> I found the following trick somewhere, maybe it works for you :
>>
>> When starting your JVM, use a line like
>>
>> java -Dpid=$$ program.java
>> and in the java program using the statement System.getProperty("pid");
>>
>> If it works, it's cute, and certainly a lot less overhead.
>
> Doesn't that set the "pid" system property to the pid of the shell that
> launched the JVM?

Now that you mention it, I think so too.  But that may be what Leon, the OP wanted : the
top parent of the process running the JVM (and Tomcat). I suppose it would depend on what

exactly you want to do with it.  What happens when you "kill" the shell which runs the JVM

which runs Tomcat ?

Another question is whether it would be possible to "delay" the interpretation of the "$$"

until such time as when the JVM looks at it.
Something like : java -Dpid='$$' ...
(is there a way to tell java to get the value of an environment variable when it starts
running ? I thought there was something of the kind. But maybe that variable is not set
then. I am a bit confused now.)

Maybe we should turn the problem around though.
If Leon wanted the PID, it was obviously to do something with it later.
What do you do with a PID ?  Usually, one uses it to send a signal to a process.
And sending a signal to a process, Unix-like, is not likely to be very multi-platform in
the first place.
So maybe finding a purely Java-based alternative to do what Leon wants to do with the PID

would be more productive in the long run ?