tomcat-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject Re: [OT] How to obtain the id of the current process
Date Thu, 18 Nov 2010 10:47:26 GMT
Pid wrote:
> On 17/11/2010 22:41, André Warnier wrote:
>> Typical Java thinking..
>> Sure, let's pull in another 15 classes..
>> Gotta use those GB of RAM for something..
>> Why do simple when complicated would do just as well, he ?
>
> That doesn't make sense*.
>
> Leon's trying to avoid using more RAM.  The JMX method pulls in one
> class, uses another indirectly & generates a String.  Hardly a memory
> intensive operation.
>
> Splitting a String isn't exactly elegant, but it _is_ cross platform
> AFAICT & starting processes appears to be problematic, so it's the best
> of a bad bunch IMHO.

I think you missed the ;-) which was part of the jibe...

This being said, I agree that this JMX method seems to be the only cross-platform one,
among the 10 or so solutions seen so far (some of which are really resource-intensive, as

I pointed out).
The real question here is why there is not a *simple* direct method call available in the

JVM.  The justification according to which a PID is not necessarily available on every
platform seems a very weak one.