tomcat-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject Re: Tomcat Going down Frequently
Date Tue, 16 Nov 2010 18:21:08 GMT
Ok, so now we know roughly what your configuration is like, and there is not something
obviously wrong with it (to me).

Now the question is back as follows :
In

WARNING: Exception processing manager org.apache.catalina.session.StandardManager@a20981
background process
java.lang.IllegalStateException: getAttributeNames: Session already invalidated
         at
org.apache.catalina.session.StandardSession.getAttributeNames(StandardSession.java:1052)
         at
org.apache.catalina.session.StandardSessionFacade.getAttributeNames(StandardSessionFacade.java:120)
         at com.ericsson.mars.jspbean.LoginBean.logout(LoginBean.java:2366)
         at com.ericsson.mars.jspbean.LoginBean.valueUnbound(LoginBean.java:2450)

The above is a WARNING message, indicating that Tomcat has caught something unusual.
The something unusual being a java class (LoginBean.java:2366) asking for a list of
attributes of a session which is already invalidated (aka, finished).
That's an application problem.

But this should not by itself cause the whole Tomcat to "go down".
What follows however :

Nov 12, 2010 1:33:09 PM org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11AprProtocol pause
INFO: Pausing Coyote HTTP/1.1 on http-9083
Nov 12, 2010 1:33:09 PM org.apache.coyote.ajp.AjpAprProtocol pause
INFO: Pausing Coyote AJP/1.3 on ajp-9011
Nov 12, 2010 1:33:10 PM org.apache.catalina.core.StandardService stop
INFO: Stopping service Catalina
Nov 12, 2010 1:33:11 PM org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11AprProtocol destroy
INFO: Stopping Coyote HTTP/1.1 on http-9083
Nov 12, 2010 1:33:11 PM org.apache.coyote.ajp.AjpAprProtocol destroy
INFO: Stopping Coyote AJP/1.3 on ajp-9011

are mere INFO-level messages from Tomcat, showing basically that Tomcat is stopping,
nicely and quietly, as if it had been asked politely to stop.
It is not "going down in flames", it is just cleaning up and stopping nicely, as requested.
So what is asking it to stop ?

Note also that as per the logfile, this orderly stop happens at 1:33:11, which is almost
*4 minutes* later than the original WARNING message dated 1:29:23.
That is quite an eternity, even by Java standards.

So I am not even sure that the two things are related.

Amol Puglia wrote:
> [...]
>
> We are proxying request from apache to tomcat using mod_proxy and mod_proxy_ajp
>
> Following is the load balancer configuration in apache.
>
> kindly let me know in case you need further details.
>
> # Port 80
>    Listen server_name:80
>    #Listen 153.88.86.250:80
>    <VirtualHost _default_:80>
>       ServerName server_name
>

>       Timeout 10800
>       ProxyTimeout 10800
>       ProxyRequests Off
>

>        ProxyPass /eMatrix balancer://cluster stickysession=JSESSIONID|jsessionid nofailover=On
>        #ProxyPass /eMatrix balancer://cluster stickysession=JSESSIONID nofailover=On
>
>        ProxyPreserveHost On
>

>        ProxyPass /eMatrix ajp://server_name:8009/eMatrix
>
>        ProxyPass /eMatrix ajp://server_name:8010/eMatrix
>
>       ProxyPass /eMatrix ajp://server_name:8011/eMatrix
>
>       ProxyPass /eMatrix ajp://server_name:9009/eMatrix
>
>       ProxyPass /eMatrix ajp://server_name:9010/eMatrix
>
>       ProxyPass /eMatrix ajp://server_name:9011/eMatrix
>
>        ProxyPassReverse /eMatrix ajp://server_name:8009/eMatrix
>
>        ProxyPassReverse /eMatrix ajp://server_name:8010/eMatrix
>
>        ProxyPassReverse /eMatrix ajp://server_name:8011/eMatrix
>
>        ProxyPassReverse /eMatrix ajp://server_name:9009/eMatrix
>
>        ProxyPassReverse /eMatrix ajp://server_name:9010/eMatrix
>
>        ProxyPassReverse /eMatrix ajp://server_name:9011/eMatrix
>
>        <Proxy balancer://cluster>
>          BalancerMember ajp://server_name:8009/eMatrix route=marsprod_rmiserver_1 loadfactor=33
retry=60
>          BalancerMember ajp://server_name:8010/eMatrix route=marsprod_rmiserver_2 loadfactor=33
retry=60
>          BalancerMember ajp://server_name:8011/eMatrix route=marsprod_rmiserver_3 loadfactor=33
retry=60
>          BalancerMember ajp://server_name:9009/eMatrix route=marsprod_rmiserver_4 loadfactor=33
retry=60
>          BalancerMember ajp://server_name:9010/eMatrix route=marsprod_rmiserver_5 loadfactor=33
retry=60
>          #load balancing performed based on number of user requests
>          #ProxySet lbmethod=byrequests
>          # Report server is for Report purpose only so balancing is required now.
>          BalancerMember ajp://server_name:9011/eMatrix route=marsprod_rmiserver_6 loadfactor=33
retry=60
>          ProxySet lbmethod=byrequests
>        </Proxy>
>
>        #Status page for balancer
>
>        <Location /balancer>
>        SetHandler balancer-manager
>        Order Deny,Allow
>        Deny from all
>        Allow from all
>       </Location>
>
>       ProxyStatus On
>
>       <Location /status>
>       SetHandler server-status
>       Order Deny,Allow
>       Deny from all
>       Allow from all
>       </Location>
>
>       ErrorLog /opt/web/apache/app/mxora/logs/error.log

seem to have any relation with proxying calls to Tomcat. Such as these :

>>> LoadModule proxy_connect_module modules/mod_proxy_connect.so
>>> LoadModule proxy_ftp_module modules/mod_proxy_ftp.so
>>> LoadModule proxy_scgi_module modules/mod_proxy_scgi.so
>
> The following /may/ have a relation with the proxying to Tomcat, but which one are you
really using ?

>>> LoadModule proxy_http_module modules/mod_proxy_http.so
>>> LoadModule proxy_ajp_module modules/mod_proxy_ajp.so
>
> Usually, people use *either* mod_proxy_http *or* mod_proxy_ajp, so which one is being
used ? Can you provide some information about the apache httpd configuration that shows what
is being proxied and how ?

>> As you said that there is problem in application code, Is there anything we can point
out where exactly is the problem in the code or configuration?