tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Tomcat 6.0.29 using more and more RAM until it collapses?
Date Sat, 13 Nov 2010 12:20:34 GMT
On 12/11/2010 20:35, Brian wrote:
> Ok, I will do that now!
>
> I have taken another snapshot of the JVM a few minutes ago. Now I also see
> that 160MB are being used by org.apache.jasper.runtime.BodyContextImpl.
> This contains images of my DYNAMIC pages!

That is sort of what I'd expect. A little background:

Tag bodies have to be buffered.
Jasper (Tomcat's JSP engine) uses a pool of buffers.
Tag bodies are expected to be small.
The buffer grows (but does not shrink) if the body is large.

If you have a lot of tags that have large bodies then you can see an
increase in memory usage in this area. To control this see
org.apache.jasper.runtime.BodyContentImpl.LIMIT_BUFFER on
http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-6.0-doc/config/systemprops.html

HTH,

Mark