tomcat-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject Re: Recommendations for (or against) a "hardware" load balancer
Date Fri, 12 Nov 2010 18:11:07 GMT
Mark Thomas wrote:
>> All,
>>
>> I'm looking for a modest load balancer to perform SSL termination and
>> work well with Tomcat's cookie- and URL-based sticky session mechanism.
>>
>> Does anyone have any recommendations?
>
> Decent H/W usually cost $$$
>
>> If Apache httpd is just as good for an environment that gets thousands
>> of hits per day, not millions, then I'm happy to run using that as well,
>> though maintaining a whole Linux machine just for httpd load-balancing
>> seems like more trouble than it's worth.
>
> For that few hits, you might get away with just a VM.

Otherwise, let me point you to something :
search Google for "LEX NEO".
These are small disk-less and fan-less boxes, which can have up to at least 3 Ethernet
interfaces, and which run Linux fine on a compact flash or other static memory device.
We use them as firewalls and for other similar uses.
Extremely reliable (2-3 years already with no downtime), low power, noiseless, small, not

expensive.