tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Pid <...@pidster.com>
Subject Re: Tomcat 6.0.29 using more and more RAM until it collapses?
Date Thu, 11 Nov 2010 20:05:45 GMT
On 11/11/2010 18:54, Brian wrote:
> I don't think my app is taking all this RAM, because when I restart it, the
> RAM usage doesn't go down. It does only if I restart Tomcat itself, instead
> of my app running there.

Yes, this is a classic sign of a problem with the app.

Reboot Tomcat, restart your app a couple of times (this bit is important).

Connect to the Tomcat instance using JConsole, navigate the MBeans, to
Catalina > Hosts > (your hostname), then select the Operations tab,
under which you'll see a button called "findReloadContextMemoryLeaks".

Push the button.

It will return a list of app names if Tomcat can detect ones with memory
leaks.

NB  No results doesn't necessarily mean your app isn't leaking.