tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Christopher Schultz <>
Subject Re: Tomcat 7 Feedback on memory leak detection/prevention
Date Wed, 10 Nov 2010 16:57:08 GMT

On 11/10/2010 9:40 AM, Rohit Kelapure wrote:
> I'm impressed by the level of in-depth analysis and actions that have been
> taken to build leak detection, prevention and remediation in Tomcat 7.
> I was wondering if users had any feedback on how effective the memory leak
> detection/prevention features has been in practice/production?

You can read Mark's presentation from ApacheCon NA 2010 here:

I recall that he said during the presentation that it had resulted in
the correction of many bugs in 3rd-party libraries such as log4j --
can't remember any others off-hand.

While these leak-prevention strategies haven't helped on my own
projects, we've seen a lot of folks posting to the list recently who are
seeing the warning messages and, as a result, looking into their own
code and libraries to find these leaks and fix them. In the cases where
people actually post-back after they fix things, it's usually 50/50
application code holding references or a 3rd-party library. We always
encourage the "library" folks to upgrade to the latest version of their
library, and to report any lingering bugs that Tomcat detects to those

- -chris
Version: GnuPG v1.4.10 (MingW32)
Comment: Using GnuPG with Mozilla -

To unsubscribe, e-mail: