tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Mark Shifman <mark.shif...@yale.edu>
Subject Re: Tomcat log files
Date Tue, 09 Nov 2010 19:27:43 GMT
you need to look at
http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-6.0-doc/logging.html
and do what it says for log4j

On 11/09/2010 01:48 PM, Timothy Lam wrote:
> I'm trying to clean up Tomcat logging to use log4j.  I've read the Tomcat logging guide
that comes with my version of Tomcat 6.0.28.  I'm really confused with all the different log
files that are being generated in the default Tomcat before log4j configuration.  Why are
there so many different log files: admin, manager, localhost, manager, host-manager, catalina
log files and then System.out and System.err get appended to catalina.out?  What's the purpose
of each of these log files?  When I configure log4j in tomcat I will have this single tomcat.log
file but will that contain everything in the default log files that I previously listed in
addition to catalina.out?  Or will I need to use both tomcat.log and catalina.out to get a
full picture of all of my logging?  I tried to delete the logging.properties file in my Tomcat
6.0.28 and I get a NoClassDefFoundException in doing so.  So there doesn't seem to be any
way of really removing java.util.logging