tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Tim Funk <funk...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Access log timing details
Date Mon, 01 Nov 2010 18:10:49 GMT
Its the time the Valve starts processing until the valve has finished
processing.

Vague heh?

So this means that Tomcat will need to do the following first before
timing starts
- Accept the connection
- Receive the 1st line of the request, and probably the headers such as Host
- From there - Tomcat now knows where to send the request and can
create/invoke the Valve chain and the AccessLogValve can start its timing
- Then AccessLogValve records as its end time when the valve is finished
its processing (which is after your servlet/jsp is already done since it
wraps it). So (if I am correct) it may be possible that the OS could be
buffering some bytes waiting to go out which could also cause a time
difference.

-Tim