tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Tim Funk <>
Subject Re: Access log timing details
Date Mon, 01 Nov 2010 18:10:49 GMT
Its the time the Valve starts processing until the valve has finished

Vague heh?

So this means that Tomcat will need to do the following first before
timing starts
- Accept the connection
- Receive the 1st line of the request, and probably the headers such as Host
- From there - Tomcat now knows where to send the request and can
create/invoke the Valve chain and the AccessLogValve can start its timing
- Then AccessLogValve records as its end time when the valve is finished
its processing (which is after your servlet/jsp is already done since it
wraps it). So (if I am correct) it may be possible that the OS could be
buffering some bytes waiting to go out which could also cause a time

On 11/1/2010 12:48 PM, Alex Quezada wrote:
> Hello,
> I'm trying to debug some performance issues, and see discrepancies from
> the time reported by HttpClient and Tomcat's access log.  This is for
> post requests (I'm running Tomcat 6.0.18 just in case).
> Does the time reported in the access log include the entire session,
> including the time it took to upload the post request, or is it only the
> response time once the request and payload are fully received?
> I've looked around but no luck finding details on the response times.
> Thanks for any info!

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message