tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Brian" <bbprefix-m...@yahoo.com>
Subject RE: Tomcat 6.0.29 using more and more RAM until it collapses?
Date Sun, 14 Nov 2010 06:30:07 GMT
Hi Chuck,

Thanks for your explanations.
My PermGen seems to be normal, low and steady.

It seems that I solved my problems! So far, these are my conclutions:

- Very often, when I restart/redeploy my app, some garbage is left in the memory. I don't
know why, given that my code closes everything (relationships with the database, etc), unloads
the JDBC drivers, etc. Now I'm restarting Tomcat very often, instead of just restarting/deploying
my app.
- The Tag bodies made some buffers to grow to huge objects. I have told Tomcat to decrease
those buffers if they get bigger than the standard size (512 bytes), and now the problem seems
to be gone! I wonder why isn't that "....LIMIT=true" directive a standard. I bet millions
of sites are having the same problem, and they don't even imagine what a memory profiler is,
and how this can be happening. This problem was swallowing hundreds of MB!
- I configured the Context so it wont use a cache for the static pages. At least for now,
I made this to all the contexts. Maybe I will restore this capability to just my java app
that doesn't have more than a few static resources, and keep it disabled for the 20 WARs full
of static pages. This problem was also swallowing hundreds of MB!

Brian